This is truly turning out to be a year like no other. During any other year at this time, parents and children alike would be preparing to send their kids back to school and falling into a comfortable routine. But this year is not like any other year. As the Coronavirus pandemic continues to spread, we understand that many parents are asking themselves the question: “Is it safe for me to send my child back to school?”
The answer is yes, it can be, as long as schools are taking all the necessary precautions to ensure the safety of their students and their families. Here at La Cañada Preschool, that is exactly our goal.
We have been extremely thorough with our preparation for your child’s return. Our new procedures ensure that everything remains clean and sanitized at all times. We are partnering with parents to limit the exposure of potential illnesses of any kind to the children. Our staff also works hard to follow guidelines both in and out of the classroom to avoid any exposure to children and parents alike.
LaCanada Preschool Safety Rules
Here’s a list of some of the new rules we have in place for children and parents returning to school:
- Children must arrive at school showered and in clean clothes, coming directly from home.
- Each child’s temperature will be taken before entering the classroom. Parents are asked a series of screening questions in regards to where they and their children have been before coming into the classroom.
- Parents are not permitted to enter the school. For drop-offs and pick-ups, parents will text the school’s number, and a staff member will escort their child to their car or the classroom.
- Parents are asked to sanitize the inside of their cars – steering wheel, doors, handles, etc.
- Children only congregate in groups of 10 or smaller, and that group does not change.
- Children are not permitted to bring backpacks, lunch boxes, or individual water bottles into the school. Blankets and stuffed animals are also prohibited, except in the case of children who nap.
- Parents should plan on leaving their child’s school-related belongings at the school all week. Special “school shoes” are worn in the classroom to avoid any spread of outside germs.
- We ask parents to sign a disclosure agreement stating that they and their child are following the guidelines set by the CDC both in and out of the home and preschool and that they will immediately inform the school if any symptoms of illness occur in themselves or their child.
LCPS Going Above & Beyond
We are going above and beyond to ensure that no illness will be spread through LCPS. But in the unlikely event that a child, parent, or staff member begins to show symptoms of illness or has been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, we have prepared a complete protocol to quarantine children and staff members and disinfect the classrooms at LCPS.
If parents have any further concerns about the measures taken to ensure their child’s safety, they are welcome to tour the school after hours and see firsthand the safe environment that LCPS has worked so hard to provide for the families that are near and dear to our hearts. We understand that a parent’s peace of mind is incredibly important when deciding to send a child back to school, and we are confident that we will be able to provide that.
Our mission has always been to provide a safe and healthy place for children to learn through play and creativity. And now, we can confidently say that we also provide a place of emotional safety for your child – away from stress and all discussion about heavy topics that might cause children to become upset. Staff members do not speak about the pandemic to or around children unless they are asked direct questions. Instead, we focus on teaching children the importance of cleanliness and hand-washing. In one specific teaching activity, we use glitter sprinkled on the children’s hands to represent germs, and we show them how to wash their hands thoroughly until all the glitter is gone.
During this time of heavy stress for parents and children, we have been able to see just how much attending preschool benefits children. Kids crave spending time with other kids. It is crucial for their growth and development at this young age. At La Cañada Preschool, we are happy to offer a safe environment that makes that development possible, and we can’t wait to welcome you and your child back.